Residential counselors in Summer at King’s Academy serve as the program’s primary supervisors of boarding students during non-academic hours (between 15:00 and 07:00 the next day). In coordination with residential faculty members, counselors enforce the policies and guidelines established for boarding students, including curfews, study hall and general dormitory behavior. Counselors are also expected to help students manage themselves in a residential environment, offering support and guidance when appropriate. Counselors are allowed three days off (that can be used for emergencies) during the duration of the program, with no exceptions. When not on a day off, counselors are required to remain on campus.
- Attending counselor training and faculty/staff orientation sessions (June 12-13, 2023 and July 6-7, 2023)
- Decorating dormitories, assigning student rooms and preparing move-in packets for all students
- Assisting in program registration and dormitory move-in on opening day of program
- Assisting with dormitory student move-out and dormitory clean-up at the conclusion of program
- Write comprehensive reports for each student by the end of the camp
Student Life Duties
- Planning and organizing ice-breaking activities during program orientation
- Organizing and supervising afternoon student activities during duration of program
- Helping supervise students at dinner
- Running all on campus activities on a daily basis and make sure that the setup for each activity is ready ahead of time.
- Supervising evening study hall
- Ensuring students are in their rooms at various curfew times,
- Assisting residential faculty in chaperoning activities off campus on weekends
- Monitoring student attendance in class as needed
- Sleep on campus in dormitory room as assigned throughout the program
- Take attendance for day students on buses before they leave campus on a daily basis
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean of Academic Affairs and Director of Summer Programs and the Residential Dean
Note: The deadline to apply is May 1, 2023.