In the Department of World Languages, students pursue a rigorous and practical study of one of four major world languages — Chinese, French, German or Spanish — in addition to the study of Arabic as a Foreign Language. Keeping in mind the objectives of an AP curriculum and following the recommendations of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for foreign language teaching and learning, the department has established a pedagogical structure based on three main levels of communicative competency: basic user, independent user and proficient user.
In accordance with an action-oriented approach that considers languages preeminently as tools for social interaction and communication, instruction and assessment are proficiency-based, centered on the integrated performance of the four traditional language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. In addition, these courses underscore the role of culture and the tacit aspects of non-verbal aspects of communication within a linguistic system. Advanced coursework includes the study of literary texts and literary analysis in the vernacular.
In order to provide students with as much exposure to the language as possible, classes are taught in the target language from the most basic level onwards. Finally, each year, selected students may participate in a summer study-abroad program, affording them the opportunity to immerse themselves fully in the culture of their chosen language.
- WLF 101: Elementary French IA, WLS 101 Elementary Spanish IA
- WLF 201: French IIB, WLS 201 Spanish IIB
- WLF 301: Elementary French I, WLS 301: Elementary Spanish I, WLF 401: Elementary French II, WLS 401: Elementary Spanish II
- WLF 302: French IC
- WLF 501: Intermediate French I, WLS 501: Intermediate Spanish I, WLF 601: Intermediate French II, WLS 601: Intermediate Spanish II
- WLF 701: Advanced French
- WLS 701: Advanced Spanish
- WLC 101: Chinese IA
- WLC 201: Chinese IIB
- WLC 301: Elementary Chinese I
- WLC 401 Elementary Chinese II
- WLC 501: Intermediate Chinese I
- WLC 601: Intermediate Chinese II
- WLC 701: Advanced Chinese
- WLA 301: Elementary Arabic I
- WLA 401: Elementary Arabic II
- WLA 402: Elementary Arabic III
- WLA 403: Elementary AY Arabic
- WLA 501: Intermediate AY Arabic